Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thoughts at 4 AM.

Right now I'm listening to that new Black Eyed Peas song, "I Gotta Feeling." It's pretty much the most repetitive, monotonous, uninspired piece of music I have ever heard.

And I love it.

I'm not too sure why. Maybe it's because it is repetitive and monotonous. Maybe because I realize they're making millions off a song that probably didn't require too much thought. Regardless, it's making me smiling. And right now I could use that.

Going on with that theme of putting my life on hold, I'm thinking about the next 318 days. That's how long I have until I officially leave Columbus for once and for all. (Sorry Columbusites). I went through my schedule with my mother today, and I essentially have every week until I graduate planned out. Seriously. Weddings, Marathons, Trips to Seattle, Vancouver and San Francisco, classes, internship...I already have it all laid out until I leave in June.

This time needs to be maximized. I need to enjoy every last minute of my final days in Ohio. And yet all I do is stare at that enormous number and yearn for it to vanish. I just want to get the hell out of here. It's been that way for three years, and I know exactly what will happen when I finally peace-out and leave Ohio forever--I may actually miss it. I can honestly see myself in the future wishing that I had taken better advantage of this fine city here.

So the theme for the summer has been making the most of my time here. One day at a time. And a song like this really makes me think about that. (Probably the insistent "Tonight's gonna be a good night" might have something to do with it. I'm not sure.)

That's the plan. Tonight's gonna be a good night. I'm not thinking about 318 days from now or 5 months from now or next week. Just right now. In the moment. No matter what I do nor how much I complain, I'm here in Columbus for a bit more. So might as well make the most of it.