Friday, August 29, 2008

Go Figure.

"My car ran out of gas right as it began to rain!"
"Go figure!"

"My electric went out right before I could switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer!"
"Go figure!"

"My boyfriend broke up with me and moved out right before rent was due!"
"Go figure!"

I hear people say it all the time. "Go Figure". You've probably said it. Hell, I know I've probably said it. But, really...what does it mean? Literally, the definitions are as follows:

  • Go: travel: change location; move, travel, or proceed, also metaphorically
  • Figure:a diagram or picture illustrating textual material

So traveling picture? Proceeding diagram? An illustrated change in location? THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE PEOPLE! "Go figure" is always used as a response to a dilemma or disturbing event, yet the words have almost nothing to do with, well...anything! It's almost a knee-jerk response. "I really have no idea how to respond to your shitty life, so I'll just spew out some silly words that I don't even know what they mean. Go figure!"