Monday, August 4, 2008

Pastor Murders Wife, Stuffs Her in Freezer.


I don't know how I missed it, but did anyone else catch this story?





An evangelical preacher killed his wife several years ago and stuffed her body in a freezer after she caught him abusing their daughter, according to police and court documents.

He faces charges including murder, rape, sodomy, sexual abuse and incest.

Hopkins was denied bail Thursday when he appeared before Mobile County District Judge George Hardesty. The case is set for arraignment next week, Hardesty's clerk said.

The case began Monday, when the daughter, now 19, went to the Mobile Police Department's Child Advocacy Center and reported that she had been sexually abused by Hopkins since she was 11 years old, according to an affidavit filed in support of a search warrant of the preacher's home in Mobile.

Oh, wow, the love of Christ is so...compelling. As gruesome and heinous as the crime--or, well, crimes--what really boggles my mind is this:

Police allowed Hopkins to finish his sermon before arresting him, [Pastor Beverly] Jackson said. She said she asked police why they were arresting him and was told, "he murdered his wife."

She said Hopkins had told her his wife died four years ago while giving birth to their youngest son.

So a man sexually abuses his own children, murders his wife, stuffs her in a freezer for four years, threatens his children if they speak out, lies to his congregation, lies to the police, lies to everyone he can speak to...and yet the popo wouldn't arrest the son of a bitch?! What is going on here?! Are people so fearful of being irreverent that they'd allow one of the sickest fucks imaginable to continue to stand on the podium while preaching love and forgiveness, all the while never exhibiting even a morsel or a shred of it himself? Puh-lease. This man has ruined countless lives: his wife, the children, the congregation, and the church will never be the same. His actions were vile, his character is indisputably shameful and therefore his pulpit did not deserve a moment of veneration.

Aretha Hopkins didn't get an extra twenty minutes, so why did this guy? I cannot fit it through my mind why this murderer, rapist and child molester deserved respect just because he was preaching. Would the police allow me to finish waiting on my tables if I were a murderer? Nope. Would the police let me finish my morning run if I had stuffed a body in the freezer? Nope. Would the police permit me one extra cocktail if I had been lying to them for four years? Not for a second, and I wouldn't deserve these luxuries either.

I hate to pull the line, I know I sound like a housewife...but what about the children?