Monday, November 17, 2008

Bike Rant.

I bike about 50 miles a week and I'll be the first to say I don't always obey every law. Just like drivers who break the speed limit, there are some bike laws that I simply can't always follow. For example, some stop signs really just means "slow". I'm so sorry, but I will not come to a complete stop while I'm biking through campus at 1 in the morning. It literally is a pain in the ass.

However, the flagrant stupidity I saw the other day was absolutely appalling. It was 10:30 at night and a biker was going the wrong way on a busy one-way street, with no front or rear lights, wearing all dark clothes, no helmet...and she was text messaging. It's one thing to ignore a rule, but it's another thing to actively ask to be killed. Text messaging on a bike? While going the wrong way on a one-way? While biking with no front or rear lights? While wearing all dark?

Missy, if you're reading this--you are an idiot!